Once again, it’s time for WWW Wednesday, a weekly meme hosted by Taking on a World of Words . Keep scrolling to check out what I’m reading this week:
1. What is your current read?
- The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien- Yup, you’ve guessed it, I’m still plodding on with this one. I’m aiming to finish by 2018, honestly.
2. What did you recently finish reading?
- How to be a Kosovan Bride by Naomi Hamill- Another ARC I reviewed for the fab people over at The Book Bag, where you can check out my review. This is another one to add to the favourites shelf, and it’s definitely equal parts moving and entertaining. On the one hand, the book shows how fiction can serve a distinct purpose, showcasing distinctly feminist, political undertones as we learn of the restrictions placed on Kosovan women by rigid gender stereotypes. We also learn more about what it’s like to live in a deeply political unstable country, with the suffering innocent bystanders face conveyed via horrifying accounts of the recent Balkan War. Yet, it would be wrong to say that this book is depressing or a difficult read, as it actually has an air of hope. Hamill definitely achieves her aim of suggesting that Kosovan women are capable of occupying roles other than that of a traditional wife and mother, with the Returned Girl getting over being sent home to her family after a disastrous wedding night by launching herself into her education and, later, political activism. Even the Kosovan Wife character isn’t entirely archaic and traditional, as she has the audacity to actually tell her husband when she is unhappy. As an added bonus, it’s fascinating to learn about a culture so different to our own, and I loved the way Hamill interwove traditional Kosovan folktales. A must read for anyone interested in feminism!
3. What do you think you will read next?
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling- Yup, same as last week! What with reading review books and trying to get through some others, I STILL haven’t had the chance to start this. I promise this won’t be here next week- the Harry Potter reread shall continue! But until then, I’ll be looking forward to being reunited with Dobby and his sock…